Sunday, September 13, 2009

Compiz - How to prevent Alt+Tab from instant switching in the background


When I have several application on my Ubuntu desktop, switching between them in Compiz with Alt+Tab has driven me nuts. In the instant I switched to another window, it got activated in the background. Because I'm too lazy to use Alt+Shift+Tab, instead of going backwards, I usually go around through the tasks. This causes a very annoying blinking screen which totally moves away my focus from the task manager area, not to mention a little slowdown.
Finally I gave it 10 minutes to find the solution.
  • In CompizConfig Settings Manager (System menu/Preferences/CompizConfig Settings Manager) look for Static Application Switcher (in Window Management section).
  • Click on it, and select the Appearance tab
  • roll down Selected Window Highlight
  • set Highlight mode to None
Done.

1 comment: